Auburn won't disengage

Ask anything at all. Get Answers.

Auburn won't disengage

Postby westhedoorman » Sun May 21, 2017 2:12 pm

I just installed my new front diff with an Auburn locker and it fells like the brakes are on when you turn either way. I have not yet brought power to the new diff so the locker should not be engaged. I had my local diveline shop set up the diffs and I am wondering if there is some obvious thing that I could find when removing the diff cover to fix this issue. Any help is appreciated.
97.5 HMCS, P400, 20 bolt rims- HDPE beadlocks- 37" Toyo Open Country MT's
westhedoorman

Re: Auburn won't disengage

Postby westhedoorman » Mon May 22, 2017 9:45 am

I just talked to tech support at Auburn and they said that their limited slip clutches are set very tight and what I am feeling in the truck sounds normal. They also said that their is a coil retainer that looks like a large thick washer that could be sitting crooked causing things to bind but that is unlikely the problem since mine has never been powered up so without being engaged it can't be stuck in the engaged position.
If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate your insight.
westhedoorman

Postby westhedoorman » Mon May 22, 2017 5:39 pm

I want to thank Big Dog Offroad for taking a minute to hear my issue and also confirm that it is normal. I'm not sure who I talked to but it didn't sound like Eric, but definitely a knowledgeable tech.
westhedoorman

Postby Ian Ward » Fri May 26, 2017 1:49 pm

I thought this forum was dieing.
After installing the lockers it is normal to chatter when turning. The first thing you do after installing diff lockers is to find a big parking lot and do slow donuts in both directions L&R and figure 8's. This will break in the clutch packs in about less than 10 min. Make sure you added the bottle of friction modifier that was in the kit box. If after doing donuts and figure 8's for 10-15 min and you still have a little bit of chatter then add about half a little bottle more of the friction modifier and repeat process.
Ian Ward
Rollin Road Service
Iandanielward@yahoo.com
Ian Ward

Postby westhedoorman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:08 pm

First post of they new year! My Auburns are working great. Thanks for the helpful advice that I received on this forum.
westhedoorman

Return to H1 Q&A