Botched conversion jobs?

All vendors are encouraged to promote great deals to the H1 community.

Botched conversion jobs?

Postby ericward » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Around 15% of our business is from repairing botched conversion jobs (mostly Duramax conversions but some Cummins and some big gas engine conversions too). Although we have posted pictures in the past we never specifically say who did these hack jobs because we don't want to talk shit about one particular shop or another.

This morning we had another botched conversion come in and it might actually be worse than the last one we mostly fixed. Someone paid like sixty thousand American dollars for this piece of shit (oh, plus the cost of the 2002 Hummer it's in). These guys supposed designed the Duramax conversion (their words, not mine) but I don't think I'd go around bragging about that when you see how bad it really is. The client (who I've known for like 12 years) has already sent this vehicle to another very reputable Hummer tech for over a year (I'm sure they fixed several things) but at this point we're considering either
1- Trying to actually repair it. Possibly the most expensive option with the least value because it will be impossible to ever really make it right.
2- Go back to a stock driveline but do the P400 with some performance work of course rather than the stock engine. This will only be an option IF we can source a 6.5TD engine harness but I believe those have been discontinued a long time ago. Depending on what the client wants I might even use this project for a prototype of a design I have in mind for a P400 engine (stock location), Allison trans, and redesigned cooling system.
3- Remove the Duramax, reuse the Allison transmission (not the controller, only the transmission), replace the t-case, and do our Cummins conversion instead.

I won't actually say who the shop was that did this conversion but they're big enough and have been around long enough to know better. Would it be professional or unprofessional to post pictures of the current condition?
303.960.6676 Mobile
Eric@BigDogOffroad.com

Our Website: www.BigDogOffroad.com

Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BigDogOffroad
ericward

Re: Botched conversion jobs?

Postby ron993 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:50 pm

i would say the pictures would be ok to post, wouldn't name the shops though. Could help people to see what to look for.
2002 Hummer H1 wagon
ron993

Postby westhedoorman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Nothing sadder than a truck that is trans-engined, you realy want to look away when you see it and the other trucks make fun of it. Eric, it's good of you to take on these tough cases.
97.5 HMCS, P400, 20 bolt rims- HDPE beadlocks- 37" Toyo Open Country MT's
westhedoorman

Postby Spartan Offroad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:55 pm

Post pics of before, during, and after. Sounds like a niche you have, fixing other peoples problems that is. No need to call them out by name, could be many reasons why the conversion went bad, it's not always the installer who is 100% to blame. Sometimes they are given unrealistic budgets and time frames, or a POS truck to start with. Besides we all know there are only 3 shops claiming to do Duramax Conversions on a regular basis.
2006 HMDS Mystic Green
1997 HMCO, DropTop Chicken Box
1995 HMC4 Stroker Ace
1990 M998, 2 Door
2000 HMCS, Clean & Mean
1993 HMC4 - Under construction...
2001 HMCO, All Stock
Sold: 2002 HMCS, 2001 Alpha Vision, 1997.5 HMC4
Spartan Offroad

Postby RubberDuck 4x4 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:27 pm

Dude, I get asked all the time to "take over" a Conversion that one of these "Shops" is doing and the answer is always no. (Hell no! To be exact)
RubberDuck
http://www.RubberDuck4x4.com
"Don't go in without protection"
(513) 889-1735
RubberDuck 4x4

Postby RIH1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:58 pm

It makes sense to show the images of any botched jobs as it will help identify what to look out for. It is also great that you are willing to fix these trucks EW. I agree with RD that sometimes it is best to say hell no. Expectations so south very quickly when the budget gets blown and lots of times these trucks are bought. If the customer is willing to have you build it right and has the cash you should be good. nothing better than a properly upgraded truck.

I love hearing the stories about these trucks though. Usually the current owner recollection is 180 degrees from what the installer states. Welding the UCP is something that is epic and I enjoy hearing every time it comes up. I still need a pic of those 2 piece wheels that got welded for all that new duramax turbo torque.

97.5 TD SlantBack
2015 Escalade V
2011 Lamborghini Gallardo 550-2
2011 Ducati Diavel
2008 MB G500 Gwagen
2008 F-450 Beast
RIH1

Postby Ian Ward » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:15 pm

I would post the pics. More the better. It helps show people what kind of crap to look for. We all need a good laugh! No need to name the "shop" or even the name of the state it was done in - It doesent really matter and we all know who it is anyway. I like the one with the custom exhaust that is hanging below the ucp. You should post the pics and we can all vote on which is the best-worst and the funniest.
Ian Ward
Rollin Road Service
Iandanielward@yahoo.com
Ian Ward

Return to H1 Vendor News