ARB fridge hook up

Ask anything at all. Get Answers.

ARB fridge hook up

Postby ron993 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:30 pm

I am currently using my ARB fridge in the back of the wagon powered off the 12v plug on the doghouse. This is a pain with the wire in the way and I don't think the factory wiring is suitable for when the truck is turned off.

I am looking to install an ARB socket in the rear of the truck, the wiring is a 2 conductor 8 gauge cable.

What is the best way to hook this up?
hook it up to the fuse box under the dash?
hook it up to the lugs that are by the fuse box under the hood?
Run it straight to the batteries? Is there a way to run this down the passenger side to the batteries?

from the ARB site
Average DC power consumption: 0.7 to 2.3 amp hr. An optional transit bag is available to aid with insulation and protect your fridge from inevitable scrapes and dents. Runs on 12 or 24v or 110v AC
2002 Hummer H1 wagon
ron993

Re: ARB fridge hook up

Postby Ian Ward » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 pm

If it only pulls 3 amps you could wire into the power buss bar or just directly to the battery if the passendger side is closer. I always avoid taping into the truck body witing for any accessory. Make sure to run a inline fuse where ever you hook it up. A 12v truck frige is a good idea. A rear mounted 110V power inverter is good for all kinds of stuff to( make sure to install a inline circuit breaker the proper size). You can run power tools and most importantly a blender for mixing frozen margaritas or daiquiris or whatever.
Ian Ward
Rollin Road Service
Iandanielward@yahoo.com
Ian Ward

Postby Spartan Offroad » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:35 am

I can't remember if they all have it but I do recall seeing some aux power coming out of the fuse box on one of my trucks. However I like the idea of leaving the factory wiring alone and running a dedicated line to the back of the truck. If at some point you want to sell the truck or remove the accessories it is easy to reverse without having any damage to the truck. I have seen too many times when wires have been spliced and cause electrical gremlins elsewhere. There is nothing worse than working on a truck where factory harnesses have been hacked to add car phones, tv's, cd players, tv's, or eloborate alarm systems.

At the same time I would plan for future accessories or electronics so when you are ready 12v is already in place. It is important to find a good ground, use fuses and relays when necessary.
2006 HMDS Mystic Green
1997 HMCO, DropTop Chicken Box
1995 HMC4 Stroker Ace
1990 M998, 2 Door
2000 HMCS, Clean & Mean
1993 HMC4 - Under construction...
2001 HMCO, All Stock
Sold: 2002 HMCS, 2001 Alpha Vision, 1997.5 HMC4
Spartan Offroad

Postby btaylor017 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:05 pm

The 2002 has an accessories fuse panel for both ignition and always on. There's a small panel to the right of the fuse box inside the cab. There's also a ground point up there as well but it's a little hidden near the fuse box (left of fuse box). You just need to provide wiring and a fuse.
btaylor017

Return to H1 Q&A